Hot Dog & Fries Cake
Lazy cake makers, I have a recipe for you! Recently I needed a cake for a Cub Scout cake auction, but did not have much time. I found a few images of hot dog cakes that were most likely inspired by the original cake featured at Family Fun. It was easy to assemble with my children, and turned out to be a big hit at the cake auction. This would be fun to make for a cookout and it was so fast and easy, that we will no doubt be making it again!
· A pound cake (either homemade or store bought)
· 2 twinkies or similar shaped sponge cakes.
· Frosting (either homemade or store bought) and food coloring. You will need some the shade of a hot dog, plus a small amount of red and yellow. I used about ½ cup total.
· Green candy to resemble relish. I found green apple licorice that was the perfect color, but green sour candy or green fish would work well too.
To assemble the cake:
1. Carefully carve a crevice in the pound cake to create a bun shape and allow a place to fit the “hot dog”. With the piece of pound cake you remove, slice them into french fry shapes, and lightly toast them in a toaster oven or broiler.
2. Cut one end off of each Twinkie, put them tighter with frosting, and frost the entire hot dog with frosting you have tinted into a hot dog shade. I used some red, yellow, and brown food coloring until I had the right shade. Carefully place the “hot dog” in the bun using a long knife or cake spatula.
3. Add your frosting “ketchup” and "mustard" using a frosting bag and tip or using a plastic baggie with a corner cut off. You might instead use the small tubes of decorator frosting.
4. Chop up and sprinkle on the “relish”.
It is simple to create this colorful, festive wreath. I could not help that it reminds me of summer, sitting on the beach drinking a fruity adult beverage!What you need: cocktail umbrellas (check party supply stores) Styrofoam wreath What you ...
Read more »
If you're like me, you are looking forward to Summer! Especially with this wonderful weather we've been having lately! Bring on the green grass and the Summer Activities! Time to start planning ahead and figuring out what your kids are ...
Read more »
Proudly serving Farmington, Lakeville, Apple Valley and surrounding communities! Psst... Click DISPLAY IMAGES link at the top of your email if you don't see images. Our newsletter is much prettier that way. What's in this week's Edition: Articles- Colorize Your ...
Read more »